Tablets as a GM

curtd

Tablets as a GM

Postby curtd » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:10 pm

The main thing I use a tablet for as a GM is to hold adventure PDFs. I run enough published adventures, that if I can not print half of the PDF, I save enough paper and ink to pay for a tablet. This also lets me zoom in on a picture of a thing (NPC, Map, or whatever) and show the PCs the thing in color without having to share the whole page with non-player-appropriate things. The best example of this is a PFS adventure containing the title "wolf in sheep's clothing" on the same page as the picture of an NPC disguised as a harmless child.

The tech I use to make this happen is Dropbox. I have all of my personal PDFs in my Dropbox account, and although the haven network works most of the time, I use the "make available offline" feature just in case to make sure I always have the adventure (and some of my other favorite rulebooks for the systems I play).

I also use tablets as a web browser to google the weird thing the player says they can do, though I could also use my phone for that purpose. The alternative on that would be to make the player show me the reference for the thing, but I don't always insist.

Curt

Zotoa

Re: Tablets as a GM

Postby Zotoa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:45 pm

Any consideration of instead of one oversized TV a couple individual tablets for the players and a larger one for the GM? I could see 2 players using one tablet without much trouble. During non-game times they could be popped out and replaced with tabletop?

Mortium

Re: Tablets as a GM

Postby Mortium » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:27 pm

I think the future is eventually going to be screen with map in the table plus tablets all around. Whether or not we jump to that point now is at best debatable.

Return to “New Tech Discussion”